Mars: The only world humans can reach with atmosphere and water; on it will be determined how humankind will evolve as a multi-planet species. Three possible ways:
To Explore New Worlds and Seek Other Life:
This was why Carl Sagan, Bruce Murray and I formed The Planetary Society
- What is our place in the Universe?
- Are we alone — is life in the Universe iniquitous or unique?
- Will humankind become a multi-planet species or be limited to Earth?
- How will Earth and Life evolve: in cooperative symbiosis or with mutually assured destruction?
I am privileged to have a life to seeking answers to these questions and to experience the great adventures and discoveries of exploring new worlds — traveling metaphorically (with apologies to Isaac Newton) on the shoulders of giants.
by Louis Friedman; Available on Amazon in 2nd Printing by University of Arizona Press, copyright 2015
– Humans may make it to Mars, but no further (except virtually.
– There is a new kind of space race: and humans may be losing.
by Louis Friedman: Planned publication – Oct 2019, Page Publishing Co., New York
Starsailing: Solar Sails and Interstellar Travel
John Wiley & Sons, copyright 1988
New (Jan. 2019) Article in Aerospace America by Slava Turyshev and I about a mission to the Solar Gravity Lens Focus
AN EARTHLY CONCERN: Of greatest concern to Connie and me now is what is happening in our country. Racism, bigotry, meanness and greed characterize the President with his policies against international cooperation, environmental responsibility and refugees. Every day it reminds me of the awful year of 1968, from which we may never have really recovered. We give what we can to the most important cause: changing our government.